Springen Sie direkt: zum Textanfang (Navigation überspringen), zur Hauptnavigation, zur Hilfsnavigation, zur Suche, zur Kontaktinformation

To the homepage of the Frankfurt City Planning Department


  • Help
  • View

Preparatory Land Use Plan

The preparatory land use plan regulates the type of use to which land in an entire municipal area will be put and is the preparatory legal site plan for the legal zoning planning. The higher-ranking planning levels must be taken into account when drawing up the preparatory land use plan: At the federal state level, this is the Hessen State Development Plan, at regional level the South Hessen Regional Plan. For Frankfurt the South Hessen Regional Plan and joint preparatory land use plan coincide such that in this instance the South Hessen Regional Plan / Regional Preparatory Land Use Plan (RPS/RegFNP 2010) applies.

Regional preparatory land use plan

Section showing Frankfurt's downtown in the 2010 regional zoning plan, scale 1:50,000, © Regionalverband FrankfurtRheinMain

A regional preparatory land use plan has been in place for the FrankfurtRhineMain region since October 17, 2011. The regional preparatory land use plan is financed by the FrankfurtRheinMain Regional Authority. The latter is responsible for drawing up and amending the plan for the entire area in its authority. Correspondingly, the 75 member municipalities that come under the ambit of the authority, of which the City of Frankfurt/Main is one, have surrendered their responsibility for preparatory land use planning. The Frankfurt/RheinMain Metropolitan Region Act of March 8, 2011 forms the basis for this.

With its publication for the Federal State of Hessen in issue 42 of the Federal Gazette on October 17, 2011 the South Hessen Regional Plan/Regional Preparatory Land Use Plan 2010, which outlines the development of the region until 2020, came into force.

For the area covered by the FrankfurtRhineMain Regional Authority the plan performs the function of a regional preparatory land use plan, which replaces the previous South Hessen Regional Plan and the joint preparatory land use plan of the former Umlandverband Frankfurt and the municipal preparatory land use plans of the municipalities in the extended area covered by the Regional Authority. Furthermore, it outlines preparatory land use planning and regional planning in this area on a scale of 1:50.000..

The FrankfurtRhineMain Regional Authority, together with the Regional Government in Darmstadt prepares the Expert Renewable Energies Plan, which adds the topic of the supply of renewable energies to the Regional Preparatory Land Use Plan and primarily defines wind priority sites.
The Chamber of Associations of the Regional Authority approved this plan on December 12, 2018. The plan defines 21 priority sites for wind energy plants, which corresponds to around 0.6 percent of the area that comes under the ambit of the Regional Authority. No more wind turbines will be allowed to be built on the remaining 99.4 percent of the land. The plan still has to be passed by the South Hessen Regional Assembly and approved by the State of Hessen (source: https://www.region-frankfurt.de/Windkraft).

For the City of Frankfurt/Main the “Gesamtstadt” department attached to the Municipal Planning Authority is responsible for all issues relating to regional preparatory land use planning that affect the city’s interests. As well as publishing expert statements, the department also prepares applications to the Regional Authority for amendments to the regional preparatory land use plan and coordinates amendment procedures with other municipal bodies.

Information about the plan is available only from the Regional Authority FrankfurtRheinMain, Poststraße 16, 60329 Frankfurt/Main, Tel.:+ 49 69 / 2577-0, www.region-frankfurt.de. The regional preparatory land use plan can also be viewed online.

General information about the regional preparatory land use plan is also available from the City of Frankfurt/Main Municipal Planning Authority, Kurt-Schumacher-Straße 10, 60311 Frankfurt/Main.

Contact partner(s)

Mr. Rainer Ortmüller

Telephone: +49 (0)69 212 33072
Fax: +49 (0)69 212 30731

Ms. Annette Fritz

Telephone: +49 (0)69 212 38631
Fax: +49 (0)69 212 30731